Sunday, May 18, 2008

Taiping, Tosh!

THIS town looks just like any other!

My usual lament, when I drive past almost all the smaller human congregations along our "off the NKVE" route. Simply, shop houses lining the one or two main roads.

Now, Taiping, on the other hand, falls sheepishly into the one of a kind basket. The difference noticed almost immediately with the looming backdrop of the Taiping hills. The feeling that this could once have been the centre of Perak dawns as one enters the town after passing Simpang. A history center it certainly is as being the first train journey in Malaysia from here to Port Weld ( now known as Kuala Sepetang ). The first museum, the first zoo and the jewel on the crown, The Lake Gardens.

I was kinda fortunate to be living just off this beautiful landscape paradise. My address was ...Lorong Bintang,... LAKE GARDENS! Envious short people might dismiss Taipings' treasure as nothing more than 'proud owner syndrome'. Similar to Penangites and their food obsession. I have debated a proportionate response and I could only come up with Nyah, nyah nyah nyah, nyah!

Truthfully, I highly recommend all towns to have a "water feature" as it can breed calmness, grounded-ness (you know what I mean, so, shut up!) and a total disregard for normalacy :)

I went to school at St George primary and secondary, an all male establishment :(
Girls only made their appearance in form six. So, there was light at the end of my tunnel.

Across the street was the dreaded King Edward school, our one and only (some say paralysed)
rival. On a sweeter note, we battled for the pubscent affections of the Convent girls, who in turn had their hands full battling the TMGS opponents. ( for the less endowed, it stands for Treacher Methodist Girls School )

On the monumental subject of food, Taiping boasts to have the best roti canai. Bismillah, located on main street, has it all. Freshly masak roti and a killer kuah. Just ask for kuah campur cos the tambi there sometimes behaves like an ass and pushes their less popular gravy.

Taiping also has reasonably good banana leaf food. Most restaurants are quite tasty in their offerings. This town used to be also famous for chicken rice, wantan mee and popia. I think only the popia remains. Seafood restaurants are aplenty.

I have no big reason to return to Taiping anymore. Like most of us, my dad has moved to KL and has sold the house. Friends are all overseas or elsewhere. The price of time takes a toll on us all.

Taiping is still a quaint place, mostly a retirement town now, but somehow, in my opinion, has not lost it's subtle charms. I hope to return again one day..

No comments: